Saturday, October 23, 2010

Maiden flight to Liberia... back to Ghana

I am right now full of optimism and indescribable expectation. It’s my maiden flight to Liberia and a return to Ghana. I have done my best to prepare for this trip - like connecting with our local partners in both countries and reviewing their current affairs.

First part of the trip is to Liberia. After reading various articles about them, I am already inspired by the Liberians and their love for education. Take for instance David Klooster, who, in one of his dispatches writes: …”visitors are struck by the numerous signs [on billboards] around the capital city [Monrovia] urging progress i.e: “Our youth need good education and jobs, not weapons,”

I will be working with CODE’s local partner We Care Foundation, a respected NGO. The foundation is to reading promotion what pandas are to bamboo.

In Ghana, I will work with our partner Ghana Book Trust, will visit schools and meet the best of Ghanaian writers. I will also represent CODE at the first Burt Award ceremony. The award recognizes excellence in young adult fiction by Africa for Africans. We hope the Burt Award can grow into a Pan-African initiative. And how befitting that the second of such ceremonies is in Ghana? You see, Ghana has been at the centre of key Pan African initiatives going back several decades.

You see, Ghana has been at the centre of key Pan African initiatives going back several decades. In the same breath, one could mention the key role Ghanians played in creating the wave of African Independence that swept across the continent, the tremendous influence of Kwame Nkuruma as one of the fathers of Africa’s self determination, and Ghana’s recent leadership in drafting the Accra Declaration.

Do you see grounds for my optimism? And the best part is that I will share my thoughts and reflections with you along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment